Some time ago I bought Dr. Kevin Leman’s book, What a Difference a Mom Makes, the indelible imprint a mom leaves on her son’s life. There is so much in the book that will help moms raise their sons to be the kind of men she can be proud of.
He summarizes 10 of his main points in the following excerpt:
The Top 10 Countdown to Being an Awesome Mom
10. Remember, he’s a boy, not a girl.
9. I know he’s adorable, but he needs to be held accountable.
8. Don’t always pay attention to how he looks; pay more attention to his heart.
7. How you handle his failures is more important than how you handle his victories.
6. No two children in a family should be treated the same, because they’re not the same—including your boy.
5. Remember that your boy will only stay weird for about 15 years.
4. He’s the wavy line—all over the place. You need to be the consistent one.
3. Start with the end in mind. Who do you want your son to be?
2. You don’t get to relive moments. Make every day count.
1. Many have tried, and no one’s succeeded—you can’t do it all. But what you do will make a lasting difference in the life of your son.
Here are a few action points to help you in raising your son:
1. Make your home a place of connection.
A place of unconditional acceptance. . .
with a sense of belonging. . .
and the knowledge that you consider him competent and capable.
2. Teach him to be kind and courteous, and you’ll heap blessings on his head.
3. Be loving and consistent in your discipline.
4. Present age-appropriate choices.
5. Hold your child accountable for his actions.
6. Let reality be the teacher.
Whether or not you have a son, I hope you have seen some things that you want to incorporate in your parenting style. All kids can benefit from these good approaches to parenting.