We started the discussion of Autism in 2005. There is such a huge increase in Autism and Autism Spectrum diagnoses that we need reliable information on this topic. We will try to keep this section up-dated as possible.
Autism occurrence is rising dramatically. Autism Speaks is involved with research into causes, preventions, and treatment. This article, Autism’s Rising Numbers, discusses the scope of the problem and the current need for resources to help those with autism and their families.
What is Autism?:
- Autism Graphic – A graphic to illustrate Autism description, symptoms, degrees, history, treatments, and successful people with an autism diagnosis.
- Video describing What Autism Is.
- Resource Center Information – Lists of reliable information on a number of topics having to do with Autism.
- High Functioning Autism – Learn what it is and how it is different from Asperger written by a mom and educator.
- Autism and Sensory Processing Disorder– Graphical depiction of symptoms.
- Understanding Aspergers
- ABC video clips on Autism A rich source of current information on all aspects of autism, its causes, symptoms, treatments, and outcomes.
- Autism awareness and updated information 2013
- Autism Science Foundation A site with reliable, up-to-date information about autism and current research.
Early Awareness of Symptoms of Autism:
- Autism Anxiety in Pregnancy
- Autism Early Warning Signs Downloadable booklet from Autism Science Foundation.
- Early Autism Awareness Blog You can sign up for emails on new content.
Early Intervention for Children with Autism/Autism Spectrum:
- Is Not the Right Time to Have My Child Evaluated for Autism?
- Autism Speaks Here are a list of sites with information about autism, but especially see the downloadable 100 Day Kit. This is a valuable help for the early days after an autism diagnosis for your child.
Parenting a Child with Autism/Autism Spectrum Symptoms:
- An article for Dad’s of kids with special needs: Guide for Dads
- Keeping Your Child with Autism Safe
- Routines and Special needs kids: Routines and Children with Disabilities
- Tool Kits from Autism Speaks are specific help and directions for parents dealing with all sorts of challenges with their autistic or autism spectrum children. These tool kits are downloadable free resources from a reliable source.
- Sesame Street Resources for parents of children with autism
- Super Nanny helps a family with twin four-year old girls and a three-year old autistic boy. This is a great way to get an insight into family dynamics and healthy interaction with an autistic child in the home.
- Emily’s Story is the true story of an autistic girl that was not supposed to be able to mainstream in school, drive a car, live on her own, or marry. She has proven these all wrong. A very inspiring article, worth reading if you have a child diagnosed on the autism spectrum.
- Teaching Important Life Skills – Directions in breaking down a new skill into its component parts.
- Autism Parenting Magazine– You must subscribe for this magazine, but it looks like there are a lot of articles in each issue.
- Sleep Issues and Help for Children on the Spectrum– Children on the autism spectrum often have sleep disorders. Read this site for causes and help to deal with sleep deprivation.
Teaching and Relating to Children with Autism:
- Teaching Tips for Children and Adults with Autism – This is an excellent resource for parents and teachers to help teach those with Autism by Temple Grandin, Ph.D. , Assistant Professor, Colorado State University. Temple has Autism Spectrum Disorder and is highly successful.
- Relating to autistic kids is an article that describes the best way to help autistic children to communicate, not just answer questions.
- National Autism Center – A rich source of information relating to children and teens with autism spectrum disorder.
- A pamphlet on attributes that lead to success in special needs kids: Attributes for Success